What happens when you sync your iPhone to your computer?
During a sync, iTunes makes sure that items on your computer are transferred to your iPhone. Photos, music, movies, etc that are stored on your computer and selected to sync in iTunes will be copied to your device if they are not already there.
Do I need to sync my iPhone to my computer?
To put them on your iPhone, you’ll need to sync with the iTunes desktop software, either using the white USB cable that came in the iPhone box or over Wi-Fi. … So if you bought, say, “Toy Story” from the iTunes Store and it’s on your Mac or PC, you’ll need to sync with iTunes to transfer it to your iPhone.
Does syncing your iPhone delete everything?
Answer: A: Syncing generally copies data from iTunes on the computer onto the iPhone. Data can include, Music, Movies, Photos, Tv Shows. … If you have Music on your iPhone that does not exist in the iTunes Library on the computer you are syncing to, that music will be removed from the iPhone.
Is syncing iPhone the same as backup?
3 Answers. Backup means copying your personal data from your phone to your computer. That includes application settings, text messages, voicemails, etc. Sync means copying new apps, music, video, or books from iTunes to your phone, or from your phone to iTunes.
Will I lose my photos if I sync my iPhone to a new computer?
When you turn on iCloud Photos, any photos or videos that you’ve synced manually to your iOS device are overwritten. If these photos and videos are still on your Mac or PC, they’ll appear on your iOS device when iCloud Photos updates your photo library.
What’s the difference between backup and sync?
Backing up means to manually or automatically copy files from one location to another, usually from one physical drive to another, although it could also be to an online location. Syncing means to manually or automatically copy or delete files as needed to ensure that two locations have an identical set of files.
How do I sync my iPhone and laptop?
Sync your content using Wi-Fi
- Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, then open iTunes and select your device.
- Click Summary on the left side of the iTunes window.
- Select “Sync with this [device] over Wi-Fi.”
- Click Apply.
How do I sync my new iPhone?
How to transfer data to a new iPhone
- Step 1: Enable iCloud on your old iPhone. On your old iPhone, open the Settings app and make sure you’re signed in with your Apple ID/iCloud account and you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network. …
- Step 2: Enable iCloud on your new iPhone and sync data. …
- Step 3: Download purchased apps.
How do I transfer content from iPhone to computer?
- Open iTunes. …
- Connect your iPhone to your PC via USB. …
- Click on the device icon.
- Click Settings on the left side of iTunes to see the types of content you can sync.
- Click on the content you want, then click on Sync in iTunes.
- Click Apply in the lower right corner of iTunes.
Will syncing iPhone erase photos?
However, it won’t delete any media from your Photos library in OS X. Apple says the reason for this is that iTunes downsamples synced images in an incompatible way. Instead, it will delete all the iTunes synced data from iOS before then downloading optimized or full-resolution images and videos to your iOS device.
Can you sync your iPhone without backing up?
Too many words in each post so I may be missing something, but if all you want to do is sync a song over to your iPhone from iTunes, without iTunes backing up your phone, simply turn off backup to iTunes when plugged in, in iTunes. There’s no requirement to backup if you don’t want to backup.
Can I add music to my iPhone without syncing?
How to Add a Song to an iPhone Without Syncing
- Connect the iPhone to the computer. …
- Click your iPhone in the Devices section of the navigation pane on the left.
- Click the “Summary” tab.
- Enable “Manually manage music and videos.” Click “Apply” to enable manual synchronization for the device.
- Click Music in the Library pane and select your preferred song.
What happens if you don’t backup your iPhone?
If I don’t back it up, what will happen? Nothing, but if for some reason the device needs to be restored there will be a lot of data missing. The easy way around this is to either turn the Wi-Fi back on or plug the device into the computer it normally syncs with and backup the device to the computer.
What does backup mean on iPhone?
An iPhone backup saves a record of everything that makes your phone irreplaceable: the files in your apps, your progress in games, your photos and your text conversations. … As of iOS 8, the iPhone supports two backup methods: iCloud backups and iTunes backups.